What's the value of the property I'm trying to protect?
How vaulnerable is it?
Is the lock to be used in harsh weather conditions?
What is the lock attached to?
I need more than one padlock, can I have them all opening to the same key?
- What's the value of the property that I'm trying to protect?
- There's little point in spending a fortune on a padlock to protect something that's cheap and easily replaced. On the other hand, something of high intrinsic or cash value will warrant greater protection.
- Make sure you have a good idea of the value of the property - the average garden shed contains £2000 worth of equipment which comes as a surprise to many.
- Consider how much you should spend in relation to the value of your property. Kasp® recommends spending between 1 and 5%.
- Padlocks are an effective deterrent and first line of defense however property of higher value may warrant additional security. Kasp® recommends protecting high value property with its wire-free motion sensor alarms in the event of the first line of defense be overcome.
- How vulnerable is it?
- If your property is in a high crime area or if the location would give a thief plenty of time to overcome a lock then you will need a higher level of security
- Check the Kasp® security rating to make sure you have the right level of security
- Is the lock to be used in harsh weather conditions?
- Locking a cupboard in a house is a different proposition to locking a sailing boat moored in a salt water harbour.
- In the latter case you need a product made from corrosion resistant material like brass or stainless steel, or even a vinyl coated harsh environment padlock depending on the degree of shelter available.
- Check the Kasp® corrosion resistant rating found on Kasp® products to determine the level of resistance.
- What is the lock attached to?
- Security is only as strong as its weakest link.
- If the padlock is fixed to a hasp & staple or chain, make sure they are of similar security ratings otherwise your security will be compromised.
- It may seem obvious but securing something like a garden gate that is easily climbed over or flimsy enough to break doesn't warrant spending on an expensive high security padlock.
- I need more than one padlock, can I have them all opening to the same key?
- Many Kasp® padlocks are available keyed alike which allows a number of padlocks to be opened with the same key. This avoids the need to carry a huge bunch of keys around.
- If this is an issue and you require further assistance then talk to your local stockist or contact our security advisors.